Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 15 November 2011

An Evening with Brett Lee

A year back, on this day - November 15, the first day (Monday) of the working week I took a day off from office. Through a relatively new friend, Milroy Goes who had worked with the star fast bowler, Brett Lee  in an ad shoot in Goa earlier in the year, I got an opportunity to meet the affable Aussie cricketer for the very first time. 

What was to be a meeting down South (Goa) earlier in the day, happened to be much later in the evening. I was picked up from my residence in Margao at around 4 pm, and a short distance up the road, a friend from the neighbourhood,  Nicole Suares was picked up as well by my friends, Milroy and Ashley Moraes, and we then proceeded up in overcast weather by car to the North (Goa), passed my office in Porvorim at around 5 pm to reach GCA Indoor Stadium, Porvorim. It was my first visit to the relatively new cricket stadium, and what better a way then to glimpse the star international pacer, 'Binga' as he is fondly addressed to start with. 

At the indoor nets, he was busy going through the paces against the local Ranji batsmen, and even imparted bowling tips to our seamers as Saheel Dhuri and Saurabh Bandekar (both friends). He even did a Warney in jest later on. An evening with Brett Lee was to bear fruition for our local Ranji cricketers over the next four days as they registered an outright innings win against the visiting Jharkhand team in the four-day Plate encounter. The visitors had players of the calibre of  Team India-capped Saurabh Tiwary, talented top-order batsman Ishank Jaggi and the rising quickie, Varun Aaron in their ranks. 

                                                                  

          With the gleaming ball .... To Binga's right is Goa Ranji seamer all-rounder, Saheel Dhuri 















   

Doing a 'Warney' 


     Binga with Goa Pace spearhead and former India U-19 World Cupper, Saurabh Bandekar

While he practiced with the Goa cricketers, the fortunate cricket fans present got the opportunity to take photographs of the Aussie pacer. And after the indoor nets session was down, the fans got an opportunity to  take photographs with him and get his prized autograph. I had these wonderful opportunities later. And I did not have to wait too long for that.

A few media persons had the golden opportunity to have interviews with him. And in the ten minutes I had with another journalist (Nicole from Goa Plus, TOI), I asked most of the questions in the interview session.




Present in the room at that time were my friends Milroy (with my digital camera), Ashley (with my camcorder), enthu photographer, Ashish Kamat, and Binga's manager Mark and his body-guard as well. It was nice on the part of Brett to give his consent to be videographed at the interview. Though I had come prepared with several questions and one pertaining to the God of Cricket, I had to tactfully get through my interview with limited time and by asking the most relevant questions. Outside cricket, I asked him about his musical tour to India with his band 'White Shoe Theory as two days on, he was having a concert down South (Goa) at Pearls Oceanique Resort, Colva).


The Prized Autograph 

                                                     
Basil Sachinist with Brett Lee 


From L-R: Basil, Ashish, Brett, Nicole, Milroy, Ashley 

Just as found on screen, very humble, friendly and playing the game in the right spirit, off the field, he was warm, cheerful and very forthcoming. He was particularly impressed by my questionnaire to the extent of which he mentioned that 'You have done your homework well mate.' 





Interview done, I took a few of his autographs for myself and his admirers, while I had my pic taken taken my pic along with the dashing speedster, while we had our group pic taken as well by Brett's Manager, Mark. :P As we left the room with  Brett and his boys, he left with a cheerful smile and by saying 'see you at the show'.

Interview Scan which appeared on Gomantak Times, Friday November 19, 2010




And now for the video-recorded interview ....


5 comments:

  1. Cricket fans!! Lucky you to see him!! :) Must be very thrilling.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwww!! How lucky you're Basil!! U had got a wonderful opportunity!! And your experience upon doing that is simply awesome ^_^ I wish i was there that day... :-( Hope i'll get that chance even..! God knows! And again i like to say.. u've fantastic grip in English!! You speak as though it's your mother tongue and sometimes... Brett had not understood wat you've asked!! :-P :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You LUCKY LUCKY LUCCCKKKYYY Man!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys :))My last international celeb interview was of Alexandra Stan <3

    ReplyDelete