Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 26 October 2011

My life since Wilson Disease

Many of us constantly crib about their lives when things go sour, awry and feel life dealt unto them is plain unjust. But if they were to see the world around them - 'BE ALERT' to their precincts, their city/village ....they will realize that they are actually luckier than a certain few.


There are people I have known whose lives are a misery. There are these two friends of mine, in their early twenties,  who 'Live each day with as much as cheer as they can even after knowing well that their days are numbered.' And their enthusiasm is infectious. Yesterday evening, I was quite upset over a few things, but there was something posted on FB by a friend which found me wear a smile. In their own unique way, these friends, dealing with plightful health issues day-in & day-out make us feel special. 

What follows is a GUEST POST by a 22-years-young female friend who despite being afflicted  with the genetic Wilson Disease, makes the best of what life offers her radiating happiness all around. The post is re-produced through an email sent by her to me with her consent. Read on: 

April 29 2008 My life turned upside down,


That was the day ,
I was diagnized with wilsons disease 
Via a brain MRI ,
I was 69 kgs , very healthy and 5 11' IN height 
Admitted in holy  family hosp,
Doctors put me on penicillamine,
Slowly my voice was fading,
My balance was terrible,
The way I walked,
My body slowed down a lot,

I went into severe depression,
was addmitted in Masina rehab,
There they shaved my head,
All the doctors would hold me,
And the female doctor would inject me,
And later take me for  ECTS, electro convulsive therapy,
I took 14 ects,
Went into comma in the process,
But managed to get out,

MY MOM WASN'T SATISFIED WITH THE MEDICINE,
CAUSE SHE COULD SEE ME GETTING WORSE,
medicines are supposed to make you better,
In my case it was opposite,
so mom finally consulted a doctor in holy  spirit,
Dr Vyas , an elderly doctor,
He told my mother give her  zinc,
And next day mom couldn't get zinc tablets, so she bought the powder form,
And consulted with the doctor,
The doctor approved,
Next thing after dinner my mom gave me the powder,
told me to have it,
I took it,
Immediately I kept on vomitting and shitting,
All my body fluid was drained,
My blood to was out,
I was rushed with an ambulance,
Straight into the ICU , My heart stopped beating,
The doctors had to resussicate me, 
I came back,
My mother lost all hope, 
That I would live,
But when I got discharged,
I was 30 kgs,
Just bones,

Over the days, 
MOM STARTED TO NOTICE THAT MY JAW WAS GETTING LOCKED,
And i wasn't eating well,
I had the rials tube in and out 7 times,
But that too did no good,
Finally I was operated in bhatia,
Surgically they inserted a tube,
which connected to my intestines,
From out,
And my mom would  gimme my food liquidifyied,
in the food bag,
It was there for 7 months 
I am a fighter by nature,
I told myself,
I have to fight this,
I am alive,
So what if I am not normal,
At least I get to live a  life,

You never know how strong you actually are until being strong is the only option you got. 


till date i am dealing with many issues,
But I am living,
Thats the bottom line 


I came to know, learn and understand what the genetic Wilson Disease is all about from this girl coping with failing health with grit and gumption only today. 


For the readers, I looked up the trusted Wikipidea on Google and this what they say: 


Wilson's disease or hepatolenticular degeneration is an autosomal recessive genetic disorder in which copper accumulates in tissues; this manifests as neurological or psychiatricsymptoms and liver disease. It is treated with medication that reduces copper absorption or removes the excess copper from the body, but occasionally a liver transplant is required.
The condition is due to mutations in the Wilson disease protein (ATP7Bgene. A single abnormal copy of the gene is present in 1 in 100 people, who do not develop any symptoms (they are carriers). If a child inherits the gene from both parents, the child may develop Wilson's disease. Symptoms usually appear between the ages of 6 and 20 years, but cases in much older people have been described. Wilson's disease occurs in 1 to 4 per 100,000 people.Wilson's disease is named after Samuel Alexander Kinnier Wilson (1878–1937), the British neurologist who first described the condition in 1912

I  would like the readers among you to open up and share their health  problems that they may be facing. This could well go a long way in being an instrument to change in inspiring others who are otherwise healthy but go astray with the vices that the society they live in provides them. 








42 comments:

  1. Yes,when she related to me her heart-rending story I felt so sick in the gut, but of course, I wanted to hear her out !! Felt very senti too. Hope this blog post serves its purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am a newbie visitor to this blog Basil and am genuinely touched...I have never heard of Wilson's disorder, so shocked to read it. May God give good health and cheer back to the unlucky friend. And i am following you from now on- love the Psalm of the Day! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks buddy .... I will make sure she reads each and every heart-warming post here.

    And do keep the faith. Curious, but care to temme, if u r male or female ? :P :D

    BTW, the Psalm of the Day keeps changing every time you visit me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well scripted Basil. I would love to meet this lady for I admire that fighter within her... even a 5mins chat with her would inspire me in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really tragic ya!!

    But nonetheless, it reinstates my belief in the people..there are real people even within this veiled humanity..I am glad I found her through you Basil.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Milli, I will ask her if she wants to have a chat with you. Well, she would not be able to talk on phone as she barely has a voice :((( Yes, am in great admiration of her too for being iron-willed in her fight against what she is suffering from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pri, yes its really sad. Tragic, well .... I would not think she would call it that, as she is looking at her life as positively as she can come what may.

    And as you put it 'There are real people even within this veiled humanity' .... and I am fortunate to have her as my friend.

    I would accept your thanks,if you will have her in your prayers too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a message I received on my FB Inbox by my online Scrabble Pal, Kimberly Call around 6 hours ago ---

    Basil, I tried to leave a comment on your blog about Wilson's. I had ECT too. the memory loss was terrible. I have permanent damage and it's a struggle to learn anything new. I have a hidden illness, bipolar disease. It can be a hard thing. Friends are a big blessing. Please tell her to keep fighting and dig out those blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feeling sad about ur friend Basil......

    May almighty Allah give her full n speedy recovery.....(Ameen)

    God bless,
    irfan....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the empathy. Prayers from all my friends for her do matter a lot. Do keep her always in your prayers hereon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God!!! Shit really happens! People keep cribbing about how much money they have and being snubbed by someone. True crisis shows how petty that is. Time to pray and thank God for blessings. Time to pray for your friend and her family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh.. I really admire her fighting spirit, as very very few can really stand strong.
    I didn't know what Wilson's disease was, read thru on the net and it really spooked me...

    Imagine not being able to do most of what u can while normal. Scary... and there she is fighting it all out... Cheers to her.... :)

    Thanks Basil....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ritu: Shit does really happen. And there are people who do not make the best of their lives and for them 'Duniya Sirf Gol Hota Hai Jab Haath Mein Bahut Sara Paisa Hota Hai.' And thanks for your prayers. She is following this blog post. And has been thankful to everyone for keeping her in their prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aarti: Yes, she has tremendous will-power to make most of her life, and is an inspiration to many of us who are fortunate with sound health yet do not make optimum use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very Touching . God bless you. but we cannot do anything.. its all about the fate and god.. in my case..i m just 23 years old and got type 1 diabetes and living on insulin injections.

    May God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is sad ya :(((( God bless you as well. I thought I had found a good friend today with a similar interest as blogging and with whom I will forge a good friendship through creative writing to start with, but why did this down-side have to be. This will not deter our seed of friendship laid an hour or so ago on FB through the group - Blogging Paradise in any way whatsoever. In lieu, it will grow to a plant of better friendship in due passage of time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sure...checkk my site too
    http://www.techtricksworld.com

    Page rank 4..
    1500+ visits
    yesterday 2200 vists

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is a true fighter..
    people who whine about their little problems should learn from this girl.. no problem can shake u if u have will power..
    Go girl.. my prayers are always with u..
    god bless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hats off to the girl...and thanx basil for writing it down!! this something which say- fight, u just live once :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. its unfortunate that some have to bear the burden of inevitability of death so heavily...
    May they find peace and joy in their lives..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wowwwww. Atish, u've quite a fan following. Good on you. Count me as one real soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Swapna: Yes, you or me or someone other, 'WE' all grumble at our lil probs when we are more fortunate in our lives .... health-wise for starters. She is an example on how to look at life positively.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jyoti: Well, am not to be thanked, but she, who gave me her consent to publish her story. She was open to writing an email to me about her illness no sooner had I requested her to. Yes, we all live but once and we have to make the best of it. 'Life is Beautiful.'

    ReplyDelete
  24. Steve: I agree. You have worded her life so articulately. Come what may, she is making the best of it and spreading joy all around. In the short time I have known her, we have become good friends and I know, with all your prayers, there will be many, many years of our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It was really sad reading about your friend, please tell her that she would always be in my prayer.
    For inspiration you can check this out too:
    Guest story – I find my inspiration in myself

    ReplyDelete
  26. You should live life cheerfully. Who knows what is written further in our fate. Tragedy! I'll pray for your friend. This was touchy and a bit upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rama:Will let my pal know. She reads this blog post. Thanks a lot. How do I access the link ? 8211 ?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sneha: Very well-said n its so very true. And do keep her in your prayers too. She looks at living her life normally.

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW Basil.. what a fighter!! This is what strong characters are made of. We never realize ( as you say) how we crib about absolutely stupid things! God bless your friend and her family and hope she recovers- I had never heard about this disease until now but whatever I am praying for all the strength that they need. It was so thoughtful of you to include this as a guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think if you just type it as it is, it would take you to the site.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Meera: Indeed - she is very special.And that's the least I could do - ask her if she could tell her story to inspire others and with her consent, the guest post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rama: Will try. Thanks again !!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh!! this is so touching. Really beautifully written. Great read. God bless :)

    http://www.iredeem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. wilson's is a terrible disease...
    thanks forwriting a wonderful piece like this and letting the world know what wilson's s and also throwing a light on the lives of some really courageous ppl....

    ReplyDelete
  35. Shreya: Indeed, touching - emotional. So much so that I shared something with this relatively new friend which my long-time, close friends do not even know.

    And yes, don't worry dear - am following your blog and will comment as is my wont of what I read here :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nikhil: Its the least I could do. Try & inspire people who lead their life astray to get back on track - lead the right path.


    At this point of time, I will once again share the link with my courageous pal, to make sure she reads the newer entries of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very very useful post and informative too. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  38. Least I could do Latha. Thanks for the visit. Will be checking ur blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very touching story, and I hadn't heard of this disease before. Yes, these are stories of courage, and one realizes the value of good health the most when it seems to be slipping away...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Really basil its heart touching Story. nicely quoted. Its really true no matter what problems you face in life you should be strong enough to face this situation. One should be bold enough to fight with all the situation and come up with flying colours. Thanks for making us realize that we should fight with our problems

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cheers to her fight for life. Hats off to the lady...

    ReplyDelete