Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 31 May 2011

And the Bus Breaks Down in Punjab!!!

Through the night, travelling in the bus was to be quite a harrowing experience. The driver had gone insane and was driving the bus as if he were flying a supersonic jet plane. The bus swayed from side to side and with it our wits to its extremes of angst and anxiety. While some prayed for their/our safety and others cursed the driver, still others requested him to slow down but he drove as was his wont.

And as was expected, the vehicle could not keep up to the man's intolerance and broke down at a godammit 4ish, 12th morning, in the middle of nowhere (as we knew of of then in total darkness). Some had no idea what had actually happened as they somehow managed to sleep through this ordeal (lucky em! ), while others barely had a wink, and still others, half-asleep as myself thought it was just a halt to answer nature's call (so I thought it was for a couple of girls).

Anyway, I did not actually know what had happened when I finally woke up sometime when it was bright. I searched for my sandals but it had made a disappearing act.  The sometimes swaying, lurching at other times bus' momentum had scooted my sandals a few seats up front. Others' footwear were similarly misplaced.
In the course of that early morning, as we woke up, we were told by a GHA Member of a place ahead nearby to the right where we could go and have a wash, and a little up ahead to the left near the Gurudwara where we could do the same, even have a bath and were served tea and a chewda-like edible by the affable Sardar n Sardarni.


                               This old kisan couple were so understanding 
                   They allowed us to have a wash, and use their bathroom too


                           Jai KisanFeeling a lot refreshed after a wash 



                                       At the friendly Sikhs' near the Gurudwara 
                   They were more than just kind enough to offer us something to have
                   and kept us asking us if we wanted more 


Aaram se on the cot sipping my chai with something like Chewda in front of me



Sharing a lil Chewda-like edible with the Sardarji's rather shy canine whom I got to love 



The wonderful Sikh couple (with their canine) who relieved our agony of the bus breakdown 


                                              With the affable Sardar 

We were at least fortunate that our bus breakdown happened at not an isolated place but a lovely area of a village called Brahmpur in Punjab where the people were hospitable, and understandable to our predicament. With the experience, I had here, I said to myself that if I were to marry what better a bride than a Punjabi kudi

No comments:

Post a Comment