Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 15 June 2011

A Hope of Love Stays Afloat




He may not be the archetypal guy that every girl dreams of in their lives, but he had a uniqueness about him that made him endearing.

She was the girl, on first sight anyone would fall for. She had that glint in her eye, the beguiling charm that would get any guy curious to know her.

Emilio was a regular commuter on the 9.15 am Volvo from the bus terminus at Margao to Panjim. A wiry, bespectacled lad, more often than not he took to his favourite window seat. The hour long journey usually would elapse with him lost in his thoughts staring outside the window or plugged into music.

But the other week, with the weather outside dreary and pouring its torrents, and having left his cell ear-plugs behind, he felt bored stiff and quite restless looking around him until he saw her.

She boarded the packed bus at the Pirni bus-stop, Nagoa and tried to make her way forward as urged by the conductor ‘mache fuddem voch bai’. Somehow she managed to hold on to a few heavy tomes in one hand, with her umbrella tucked under the arm and with the free hand holding on to a seat handle-bar.  

That was when he saw her. She stood facing him. Her cute and innocent face looked noticeably troubled. Quickly realizing her predicament of spiteful men standing either side of her, the gentlemanly guy offered his seat to her.

“Young lady, you may have my seat,” he said
“No it is okay,” she manages a sweet smile and replies.
But I insist!! And he gets up and with a wave of his left hand motions her to take his seat.
Gracious at his thoughtful gesture and giving him a broadened smile, she brushes past him as they swap places.

He feels a sensation run through him – the touch, and the scent of a woman. Wow, he thought and sheepishly grinned.

The elderly lady, who was seated beside him until then, was observing minutely the chain of events, and catching his reaction, winked at him.

“O my, he thought. Not a granny for heaven sakes.” He did not know she had seen his reaction and thought she was flirting with him.

He overhears the grey-haired, wizened lady whisper into the girl’s ear. “Isn’t he such a sweetheart?”

“I guess,” she mumbles back and coyly smiles to herself and then looks up at him and they exchange awkward glances.

The bus finally reaches Panjim and the passengers begin to alight from the bus, but his gaze stays transfixed on hers. Was that mutual love on first sight?

In minutes, the bus is empty but for them, and the conductor checking into the accounts of his ticket collection. A few moments’ passes by and the petite lass lowers her pretty eyelashes, a tad embarrassed, with her cheeks flushing a pinkish hue, as she quietly makes a move out from the bus.

Emilio follows her out and blurts, “May I know your name? “ Brushing aside her curls, and turning her head over her shoulder momentarily, she replies shyly, “may be another time.”

He stood rooted to the spot watching her vanish into the morning bustle of students and professionals, scuttling to their destination in the receded rains which still held the premonition of more showers with overcast skies.

He still could not let the thought of her escape his mind while he took the City bus to work. Through the day in office, try as he could, he was unable to let the distraction of day-dreaming about her go. And this had a negative impact on his creative thought process at work. Citing a sudden stomach upset as an excuse, he decided to leave for home at noon.


The weekend went by, and the Monday morning blues greeted him. As usual, he boarded his regular bus and took his customary seat leaning against the window, wondering if he would ever meet the charming girl again. Tiredness of a late night party the previous night and a mild hangover took its toll and his drooping eyes closed. From seeing her in his reveries, he now found her enter his sub consciousness too. He felt her perfume intoxicate his nostrils and loved the feeling. Suddenly he felt a soft tap on his shoulder. Was he actually dreaming? He pinched himself, opening his bleary eyes to an unexpected shock and a pleasant surprise. Emilio could not believe what or rather, who he was seeing. It was her. The same girl he offered his seat to in the bus the other day. She sat down on the empty seat beside him and flashed him her most glistening smile.

Emilio was now fully-awake and sat up nodding at her presence next to him and uttered, “Hello” with a knowing look.

She extended her right hand in greeting and replied, “Hi, I am Amanda, it was really nice of you the other 
day ….”

Feeling the delicate, warm handshake gave Emilio a strange, tingling sensation. He simply said, “Pleasure to have met you ….” Erm, he quickly realized his mistake and felt like a geek. Correcting his reply, he said, “It was what was expected from a man.” “By the way, I am Emilio, he added as an afterthought.”

Taking no notice what he may have earlier said or how he may have felt, but visibly impressed to what he had just said, Amanda went further.  “The other day when we met, I was in a tearing hurry to attend to my class, besides, the impending rains ….”

This got the rather tongue-heavy Emilio talking. “Yes, I felt awkward when you made an abrupt dash out of the bus without saying a bye.”

Now, she felt apologetic. “I really did not mean to …. I am very sorry but ….”

Quickly he replied, “It is okay, I understand”. “By the way, I work as a journalist with a leading daily in Panjim, Emilio said, and took out his wallet from his back-pocket and fed out a visiting card from it and gave it to her.  

“Well, that is awesome. I am always in awe in what you guys do. Your curiosity, nose for news always has me in admiration. It must be quite the challenging profession, ain’t it not?” she raises an eyebrow and asks.  

Pleased by the respect she had to his ilk, Emilio replied, “Certainly is.” “What about you? What do you profess as?”

“Oh yes, I am a lecturer in the Arts Faculty at Dhempes, Miramar.”

“Right, that was what you had earlier said. You teach.” He now took notice of the few volumes peeping out of her shoulder bag which were of English Literature.

“You teach English at the college level isn’t it?”

 A surprised Amanda asks, “How did you guess?”

“Well, I just happened to notice Shakespeare, Milton ….looking out from your bag,” he stated.

“Ahh, right, the Smart Alec that you are,”  she gives him a smile.  

Emilio now was really talking. “Well, you know, I had taken English at the graduation level in my time from Chowgules.”

“Really?? It is good to know,” she replied.

Clearly, the literary-inclined minds were now getting into an engaging conversation.

But just then, the bus reached Panjim. And a loud female voice that said, Pavle ami Ponje,” made them realize it was time to part ways once again.

“Nice knowing you,” Amanda said giving him a winning smile and made her move out of the bus and into the teeming crowd outside.

“Right, do keep in touch, he called out after her.”

She simply waved a hand and disappeared from view.


Days passed into weeks and weeks into a month. He now grew restless; he was just missing her so much. Should he visit her college …where she taught and meet her? But would that not be lame? What would be his excuse for going there? He did not know anyone else, studying there or otherwise, apart from her.

His heart was so lost in hers that he went to the extent of trying to locate  her on facebook, orkut, google … No results …His only leads were her first name, where she taught, and possibly where she lived, Nagoa. All of which were of no help on the search engines.


On a Friday, Six months later … He gets a call. It is from an unknown cell number.  It is her voice.
She: Hi, is it Emilio? It is Amanda here.   
He: Yes, Amanda. How are you? Been a while, you know, since we last met
She: Yes, I do not live any longer in Nagoa. Regular long distance traveling was getting to be difficult and tiring. I have put up along with a couple of my friends at a rental flat in Miramar since the last many months. It is now very convenient for me. I only travel home for the weekend. And how have you been?
He: All is well my end, the usual.
She: Good to know. Sorry, had been busy re-locating and in all that hurry, misplaced your visiting card. It is unlike me to …She stops short, then adds, I did not even bother to visit your office.
He: Hey, that is okay. No need to feel bad. To tell you frankly, I was thinking of visiting your college too, but then thought otherwise. It may have been lame.
She: No, not at all. In fact, I would have been glad to have met you again, much sooner. I even told my staff friends about you. How chivalry still exists in this world. How about we meet at seven this evening at a nice place somewhere?
He: Well, that would be wonderful. How does CCD, Miramar sound to you?
She: That’s an idea!! May be, we could head out to the beach later.
He: (taking a flirtatious tone) I can already imagine the waves lapping at our feet as we walk by the shore-line with the gentle breeze wafting your long curls against mine.
She: (on cue) I am game for the teaser (and bursts out laughing)
He: That is a date then, at seven, this evening.
She: Done. Seeya soon.
He: Ciao. 


63 comments:

  1. This story is like A Cool Breeze In The Summer Heat.

    Ending is very disappointing for people like me. I am very curious to know about what happened next.

    Dude My office is also at Miramar near Dhempes. So if you have any message for her then I can deliver it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thx for ur insightful feedback, especially so, being the first. People just read in my blog entries quietly and go off.
    Well, the ending is deliberate, wanted to keep the readers guessing what may have ensued. Besides, the story title reasons out to just that element intended by this amateur writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DID U JUST END IT THERE?
    *blinking unbelievingly :o* not fair :/
    but i liked the story i mean after that 6 month gap i thot u ll end it there as some lost love n all but flirting n date not bad for the end ;)

    keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. heyyyy appy, thx for the good words. your blog is quite wonderful itself. di gave me the link. hope to see you write a story yourself soon too. u know what, I sat up early hrs on 12th n 14th this month to key in this story - 3-4 am & 3-4.30am respectively. Minor textual changes on the afty of 14th, and the 15th, a couplah words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks martin :) but it would really have been nicer had you given your feedback on the piece of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know who is that Emilio!! LOL!! Well nice one by the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh you do Sheffers ?! If what you say is true, then I might well know him too :) And thx for the appreciation :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. “I can already imagine the waves lapping at our feet as we walk by the shore-line with the gentle breeze wafting your long curls against mine.” – that’s my most fave line in the entire piece! Had to say that ;)…it took me straight out to the windy beach, far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow in my mind and brought a lot of memories gushing back too! :)

    Nice piece basil – very sweet, very slow and thus very romantic! But I have to ask – is it really fiction? Or is it a piece from the daily life of one “Emilio” – a wiry, bespectacled lad, I also happen to know??? ;) …(you know who I am talkin’ about here, don’t you?) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now write more about the date that evening...or do you want your readers here to speculate on how the rest of the story goes??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story is well written, well paced, keeps you guessing what's gonna happen next. I hope there's a second part!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crystal, thanks for your lovely feedback.It may be hyperbolic though. As for the second part, I doubt that would happen. Not a movie-maker who tends to make sequels if the previous work happens to be well-received.

    But it feels really nice when you say it brought to you a lot of gushing memories out on the windy beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nikhil, nice to hear from you after a long time and receive your nice views too. Part II is unlikely :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite a nice story basil, touched my heart..although the ending was abrupt, it made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey, thx pallu :) pleasant surprise to find u here. and ta for the nice words :)do drop in here sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a cute story..
    would love to read further about this story..
    i agree wid guruprasad.. it sounds like a cool breeze in d summer heat..
    hmm.. i guess i know who dat emilo is..
    very curious to know.. wot hapnd after they met..
    are they going out now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey thanks a lot Swapna. Feedback means much to me, even if its constructive criticism (in the case of this blog entry) which seems am deserving to most who have had something to say here and on FB. But well, not Emilio, but Basil Da Bullet will stick to his guns :) You can expect a whole new story instead in due course of time :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i loved it!! i was lost in the whole story..you write amazingly beautiful!
    one can actually visualize and follow it.. brilliant use of words and a lovely flow of thought.. ! simply awesome! :D keep it up..
    i'm excited to know what follows after they meet up.. ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. thx Kastu, hope to see u express yourself creatively too, that you write well. To know what ensued after the end of this story there is nothing - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !! Coz it stayed at that .... :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi friends, thank you all, but, perhaps .... rather, I feel the praise is excessive. Where is your constructive criticism ? The only one I really got was on my FB inbox and she shys away from crucifying me here. Dunno why, when time and again I have said I accept both bouquets & brickbats. So trust you get the message - the lady and all of you too. Lemme know about my shortcomings in this fictional piece (ending stays as it were), lest my standard of writing deteriorate with the confusion thrown in a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome story bum chum.... U better start writting some more.... I'd love to read more bout dis story...

    ReplyDelete
  21. thx tillu. more to follow, for sure. about this story eh ? will narrate it to u some other time, when I get a good idea for the continuation :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. Its cute... i wonder if scenes like des really do happen ne more... but neva the less.... it actually got me engrossed in the whole story... guess u cud do a lil more complicated stories next time wit a lil more suspense... :D gr8 job btw

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey prutha, such scenes do happen, if not better. Trust my friends to tell u that, like one of em who is blogging em out these days - he has had quite a few actually :) well, the latter part of the feedback is appreciated more coz constructive criticism hasn't been quite forthcoming here until now :) Will try my level best to work on my shortcomings that you have mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i dnt knw much abt ur work or ur travelling habits, but i guess u cud hav rather used basil than emilio... emilio's too italian ;) anyway, really gud piece of writing.

    @apeksha shah gupta- d lost loves are most frequently touched and wrote upon by ruskin bond... funny he duzn't make it seem cliched or lame! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi, errrr dunno your name yet, but do not mind if I address you as KM for now. Your visit has come out of the blue, and it is welcomed hereon too :)

    I may not know you yet, but would love to acquaint nonetheless. Your comment on this particular work of fiction (as told to Apeksha) has been the most interesting observation yet.

    Do continue reading my blog, more works of fiction will eventually come. Another will, sometime this month. And I have visited your blog too ... hope to see a revival there ... sure you have a lot of interesting anecdotes and thoughts to share ... this I can say with conviction, by the way you wrote your comment here :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. gotcha, Karnamohit .... a lil birdie told me a while ago ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice One Basil. Im use to reading your articles in magazines, this is new feather in your cap and beleive me, its more colorful then just a black and white print you've been doing all these years. You have a great future, I won't be shocked one day to see your own column in some of national level magazines or daily...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  28. nice work basil...keep it up...n yes now i need to keep a check on ur stomach pains in office ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. heyyyy Gauts, well there are many feathers being re-discovered actually, and one is fiction writing. Its not that I have not written fiction before - had two published stories as of seven odd years ago. I do not quite know what has inspired me to writing short stories again, may be the revival of reading creative stuff with short stories on a certain blog to start with, that urged, why not you ... ??? And since, my interest revival for reading novels. BTW, I did have a column of my own on a now defunct Goan magazine, by name of Home & Garden/ Case E Jardim. You may have heard of it .... it was located in the same building at Rua De Ourem that you work. It ran for a year in the early 2000s and I contributed my mite with my column, 'Harsh Realities' based on environment. And yes, it would be nice if Herald re-introduced FRIENDS (one of my stories appeared there), and therein could lie an opening for me. And yea, thx for visiting my blog again and the appreciation :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. hehe Soni good one :) you may neva know coz am quite good with the excuses part, if at all needed :)So 'playing doc' would not be a case of bother with you :P You, and the rest of my readers, can well expect my next story sooner than later.I have put my muddled story ideas to rest in the course of my bus journey from Margao-Panjim this morn' The story concept was finalized by my greying cells as the bus touched Capital City :)

    @Savio Paes - I briefed you about this, earlier this evening on call. Yes, its a boy-girl story again - no worries. No gay/lezzy stuff just as yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Basil, i visited your blog on a whim, and found absolutely wonderful stuff here man! This is one sweet story, and so simply but beautifully rendered. I'm reminded strongly of my favorite writer, Ruskin Bond. To-the-point, simple and elegant writing. Keep it up:)Hey Basil, i visited your blog on a whim, and found absolutely wonderful stuff here man! This is one sweet story, and so simply but beautifully rendered. I'm reminded strongly of my favorite writer, Ruskin Bond. To-the-point, simple and elegant writing. Keep it up:)

    Fahama Sawant

    ReplyDelete
  32. Twice said goodie-good, twice felt as much. Thx Fa :)Ruskin eh, not read his books yet but have watched a tele-series years ago, on the good old Doordarshan, an adaption of his works :) Even have met him during IFFI 2005 at Cidade De Goa, Dona Paula. Will post that pic with him on FB sometime soon :) And will make it a point to add to my Shopping Cart on Flipkart his written works :)BTW, get your blog active again - love the way you express yourself, and I would not be surprised if you try your hand at fiction too. You have this creative juices in you that need to be explored :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very nice ... Keeping going!!! Warm regards, Ivo Oscar Faleiro. Ex-General Secretary, South Goa District Congress (I) Committee, Flat No. G-2, Queen's Garden, Behind Old Kare Law College, Rua Calcada De Nossa Senhora De Piedade, Margao - Goa. INDIA. Ph (Res) : 91-832-2735790. M: 09420783557 / 09226779988.

    ReplyDelete
  34. thx Ivo .... expected a real feedback from you though, otherwise you have a lot to say about everything. Hence disappointed. Expected constructive criticism from you. Then again, the contact info aspect you will never leave out from the equation eh :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow... Awwwwesome story :) Basil u r a wonderful author too :) keep up your good work :) But what happens next! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks .... am trying to better my writing skills, but it is nice to know I have inspired a certain friend to take up to fiction writing and she has had a fabulous start !! As to what happens next - Shilpa plays spoils :P

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yeh... for sure! :-) But that's not the end.. End is that when u spoil it to maximum extent :-D

    ReplyDelete
  38. Shilpa, is it you or me who ends the story right there ?

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are the author! You shld end it so read those lines fully... when u enter and spoil.. the story ends :-D

    ReplyDelete
  40. Well, I have written the story, and it ends as it has. End of debate.

    ReplyDelete
  41. nice article...had a real nice meaning.
    i'd almost believe it as a real life account...or perhaps it is..the names are changed perhaps??;)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Umm broda, to start with, its not an article for a change, but a short story, YES !! And fiction it is,though even my first reader of this piece, my mom had/has her doubts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is a good story, and it seems like its been inspired by a true encounter. Now be a true writer and deny it :P

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ritu(if I could address you by your first name), that is quite a well-phrased statement. Bodes well, for an upcoming author whose link I happened to chance on around an hour ago and spent some qualitative time on it, responds to her fans, new-found, as in this case. Will regularly visit your site http://phoenixritu.com (have book-marked it) and am now looking forward to reading your debut novel, 'A Bowlful of Butterflies' no sooner it gets published and hits the stands :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. excellently written...i love the way you have threaded your feelings...it seems you poured out your own emotions..such encounters are rare to be flashed on a writer's mind as fiction....It seems true:)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Nida, thanks for your feedback. You have worded your comment very well, which strongly hints at your potential to bring out your thoughts fictitiously too. Not for nothing did I ask for your feedback, having known you to a certain extent, if I am not mistaken, through a mutual blogger acquaintance. I do find your writings interesting and will be following you :) BTW, had sent you a FB Request :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. your best this far!! tho .I have ma doubts bout .Emilio, a very striking resemblance to the writer.... :) good going!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. if u say so, but ... will get better in time :P

    ReplyDelete
  49. Just felt that I should share the feedback on this blog post by an Indian author,who has two novels to his name, a well-received "That Kiss In The Rain.... : Love Is The Weather Of Life" & the National Bestseller, "A Thing Beyond Forever – The Reward For Every True Love Is Not Love..."

    This was what he had to tell me on my FB Inbox on July 13 ...

    Novoneel Chakraborty
    Read it Basil...the emotions are nice and so is the story .. but the structuring I felt was a little immature which am sure you will improve with time .. best wishes !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hieee.. The pace of your story is very comfortable and crisp. The flow of emotions are so realistic, you can almost totally relate with them. The flavour of Goa adds to its charm.The best part is, a smile automatically remains all thru the reading..
    Enjoyed reading it.. Looking forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  51. The slight amature tinge in your writing, actually adds to the innocence of emotions exhibited... Wishing you all luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks Aarti for your feel-good feedback :) More importantly, for a change someone did not take it to be my story :P Trust, the label, till now was misread ;) You could definitely expect more of my stories:)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Loved it completely..but hated it for the fact that it ended with the phone call... I wish I could read more and know what happened at CCD as a lot can happen over a coffee..

    ReplyDelete
  54. Well Milli, I am sorry that you despise the ending to the story, but all the same, over a cuppa of hot mocha or cappuccino you could know much more ;);)

    ReplyDelete
  55. I like the way you create imagination:

    "(taking a flirtatious tone) I can already imagine the waves lapping at our feet"

    cool work bro.

    ReplyDelete
  56. true story? Basil

    -:)

    loved this piece

    ReplyDelete
  57. thanks Pari dude .... its just a fairy tale ;)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Basil....is that Emilio u????????/ hahahaaaaaaa coz u also travel by bus everyday to Panjim....lol
    Was nice 1....hey u should start up with your own book....real u r gr8....book just like chicken soul for the soul.....gr8 job....keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Did you really have to end it so soon!!! was so totally engrossed in the story that the Ciao, shook me to the reality and dragged me out of the lovely world of fiction you had created..
    Am eagerly waiting for their next meeting!!
    Sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Miss Sonia, may be the next story could be on you .... that we have travelled together too to Panjim on the odd occasion ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  61. Ishita, thx for your invaluable feedback.I like to end it kinna abrupt n with suspense I guess :))Or mebbe, I've lot to learn from a talented young gal as you. Looking forward to read ur debut novel soon. Received it on the afty gone by. Trust u checked the tag on FB:))

    ReplyDelete