Powered By Blogger

Monday 6 June 2011

Basil Da Bullet - A Case of Mistaken Identity

Something on Facebook earlier this evening had me quite amused and chuckling. It started off with a chat out of the blue, by a young woman whose friend request I had accepted recently and had forgotten about her (hope she pardons me, if she reads this).

Actually, I had accepted her as a pal not just coz she is cute (as is the tendency with most guys befriending girls on social networking sites), but as we had a few mutual pals, I thought why not ?! We may have met somewhere and with my ephemeral memory with names and faces, it was another reason to know this chick or rather befriend her.

Anyway, let me share here the excerpts of our chat. Let me address her by her initials - PN and myself, BDB. She pinged me first ....

PN:      hi bazil    8:33pm

BDB:   bazil?

  •                hiiii

PN:     how r u? n whr r u nw? goa or abroad...


BDB:  very much in goa
  •               outside goa is not my thing
  •               luv goa too much
                  :)

    :)
    PN:     so howz ur wife n howz life?
    (this had me startled, curious and chuckling to my self)

    Well, that is how our chat begun and I told her,
    to her surprise, 'life is good coz im still unmarried ....'

    Taken aback, she replied ....
    ohhh...shit..i think i hv guessed u wrng... i thought ur another Bazil from santacruz? r u bazil dias from homeopathy medical college.. if not im really sorry.

Santa Cruz .... whoa, there is my namesake there eh, I thought, and who resembles me ?? Wow !! I checked her profile. Mumbai-based hmmm.

Finding her friendly types and I, being always open to new friendships, I told her that it was fine and that we could always get to be frenz.

Without a reply really to the offer of friendship, she told me that she just went thru my pictures n got to know that I was not that bazil ... but basil. Oh well, so I am being investigated now. A journo who has dabbled in investigative journalism in the past is now clearly impressed :P

I then went on to tell her we had a few common pals like pramod, milli n vijayshree & how she had known em ? To which she replied, that milli was her classmate and when she saw me in one of her comments, she thought I was that Bazil Dias who was milli's n her senior in college. She also went on to add, that she was surprised to find that Basil on FB ...who she used to consider as her bro in college. And felt apologetic at the mistaken identity. Now this was really funny. I have known strange things happen online, but this was LMAO.

To her apology, 'I was like it is ok. My name is not common either. And being particular about my name spelling said it is Basil not Bazil, and a variant. I told her how I felt all about this as being kinna amusing and that it was a novel way to be frenz if she was fine with it. Also told her the reason I accepted her friend request at this point.

Then what she had to tell me stunned me and made me laugh to share it with my mom and much later with FB friends on my wall. She told me that when she had sent me a friend request, I had a pic that looked very similar to Bazil's who was a great fan of bullets and owned one in college. And thus had surmised, he addressed himself on FB as Basil Da Bullet.

Now, I was really very curious and remarked,
o thats interesting

  • :)
which pic r u referring too?

She replied, 
da one in black tshirt i guess...ur face is not seen clearly... n believe u juz luk like bazil dias in that pic...u can ask milli tooo...

Now Milli is a mutual pal who brought this vague
acquaintanceship about unknowingly and when I told her about this (she was online then too), she could not stop laughing the incident off either and admitted it was crazy. 

    I then told PN, how I got to know Milli online through a common pal as well, and that we had subsequently met. Just thought I would tell her that as such unique friendships do arise and tend to blossom in certain cases. How would mine is another matter and time would tell. I also did ask which of my pics she was referring too that bore a strong resemblance to Bazil, and this was when  we had a power failure .... DARN. It had to happen of all times NOWWW ):

    A while later, I was back online and she had disappeared. Now am all ears to know more about this other guy - Bazil - what we may have in common - how he actually looks like and which pic of mine she was talking about. And of course, get to know PN herself better and be friends with.

    More to follow ....





    19 comments:

    1. Milli ki wajah se Basil ko nayi dost mili,
      Milli ki wajah se Basil ko nayi dost mili.
      Arre yaar teri toh nikal padi. :-P

      ReplyDelete
    2. wow, what a shayari .... hehe :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hahahhaha Great!! Nice one!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Funny eh!?! Guess its true after all when they say that there's always one other person in the world who resembles you in every way! :) You've found ur twin basil..I think u should go out and find this other "basil da bullet" and befriend him! It'll be super-interesting i bet..and yes, don't forget to keep updating us here!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. hmmmm, interesting :) keep me posted on how it moves along, I don't move to far away! :) good going!!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Thanks Sheffers. Unfortunately, there is no 'like' option to appreciate this reply.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Apparently, yes Cryssy. I have a reason to believe what you say is so very true since the other nite. And yes, am keen to befriend this 'TWIN' of mine. You know what, long ago on Orkut, I had joined this community called 'Basil' and I own this relatively new group on Facebook called 'Pinto.' So you may help me in my endeavour hinted at .... And about the update part, it will come eventually :)

      ReplyDelete
    8. Heyyy Sav, been a while you have visited, or rather posted on my blog. Much appreciated, and that will help me keep going :P Yea, so long as you stay an Earthling, you will be in the loop.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Great piece of writing! ... KEEP GOING, MY DEAREST FRIEND BASIL!!!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thx Ivo. More than the writing aspect, its the incident which makes it a wonderful piece :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. lol...:D
      "PN: so howz ur wife n howz life? "
      buwahaha sm1 hit ur wrong nerve lmao

      ReplyDelete
    12. yep, I almost jumped from my seat :P

      ReplyDelete
    13. one basil is bad enuf....to have another lurking around the corner! ;) and as long he ain't shootin' out bullets...like our very own basil-da-bullet on every social media be it blogger,fb...or google+
      one of the few people u can't live with n at the same time you cannot live without.....he keeps crawling his way back in!!

      ReplyDelete
    14. very interestingly put :P:P

      ReplyDelete
    15. nice.. interesting someone has a reason to be called bullet!!!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Vivek, your comment has brought a smile to my face :)

      ReplyDelete
    17. the way u wrote , u made a very trivial thing happening so frequently also so interesting. nice.. :)

      ReplyDelete
    18. Have another queer incident on FB where one Goan Guy recently sent me an add req thinking that I am the owner of Cafe Bullet - the Club of Enfield lovers :) LMFAO. I have gone along so far :P

      ReplyDelete
    19. Waiting for the sequel to the story soon to follow.I never knew that a person could write a story in such fine details and quite interesting with that of what happened in FB.Interesting Read :)

      ReplyDelete